Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Blast It

This past weekend I participated in the Hyde Park Blast. It is difficult to decide which of the two main activities is my favorite; the 4 mile run followed by kegs n' eggs or the evening block party complete with $3.50 draft beers, local Hyde Park food, and some of my favorite friends. Luckily for any readers the only picture of me taken during the festivities was at the Block Party. All camera lenses would have been shattered by either my pre-race 7am sleepy face or my post-race 8:39:46am sweaty, disgusting, hyperventilating face. This picture was captured by a CinWeekly photographer at the block party (he claimed to not recognize the ever-so-famous Pig Bloggers). Gathered together for the Block Party on Saturday night are: Wes, me, Liz, Em, Casey, Eldrich, and Vanessa. It was a great ending to another fun Blast weekend.

My only goal this year was to beat my Blast time last year. At this time last year I was still rocking an arm cast (a result of a rather embarassing dancing accident at a Memorial Weekend wedding after-party). Due to the cast I hadn't been running much that summer and the best time I could manage was a 40:57. Surely a marathon runner could do better? Well, maybe not. Given my laziness during the month of May, the extreme temperatures, and the doggie drama (see Em's blog) I was hoping for the best, but not expecting much. Despite all the various problems, delays, and potty breaks (for Indy, not for me) I was very happy to finish in 39:46. A big thanks to Huey for pulling me through a sub-9 first mile and Indy for keeping me going through the next 3.

Next up is "basic training" until a half-marathon in Columbus on July 26. I remember how excited and proud I felt after my first 13 mile run in Flying Pig marathon training. I can only hope I will be at the same place (both mentally and physically) when I attempt that same distance on the 26th. The summer sun is definitely adding challenges to this marathon schedule. I never would have guessed it, but it turns out I am more a cold weather girl than I thought. Bring on the February long runs in tighty-tights, I can't handle this hot weather!

4 comments:

Emily Malone said...

I hear you sister. Who knew I would be begging for my fleece again? I wonder if Indy would have run okay on his own without Huey causing chaos in front of him. He did fine last year! Ugh. So frustrating.

Loved the block party. Couldn't believe that photographer had the audacity to say he didn't know what a Pig Blogger was. Humph.

Unknown said...

Love the picture, I look like one of the kids from the kids race! :) Thanks for coming down to help in the rain storm! So fun!

Mary Ann* said...

Do you think the arm cast helped with the arm-swinging problem you referred to during the Pig training??

Lindsey said...

i think the cast may have caused the problem, new strategy is doing up and down arms, no more swinging elbows for me!