Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Moo Goes the Cow, Oink Goes the Ritz

One of my main motivators during marathon training is food. I live under the mistaken philosophy that I can eat whatever I want, because I am running so many miles that I don't want to run. This does little to improve my running and my waistline.

This time around I promised to be better, both in my running time and my eating habits. Luckily, I have my good friend MA* and a great website HungryGirl to help keep my post-run treats on track. Thanks to a tip from HungryGirl I had a delicious icecream treat waiting for me in the freezer after my 5 mile run tonight. It was HOT outside and despite waiting until 6:30p to run and wearing my Bengals visor (WHO DEY!) to keep the sun from my face, I was an absolutely flaming tomato by the time I huffed my way to the end of my 5 mile route. After a cool down involving 2 32oz. glasses of water (with an entire tray of icecubes), an ice pack strategically placed in my sports bra to help cool my "core" and a 20 minute yoga-style soothing stretching routine, I was still craving something cold.

Waiting for me in the freezer was a delicious Skinny Dipper caramel chocolate icecream popsicle. Only 80 calories and pure summertime bliss. I think I heard the icecream truck song after taking my first taste. I bought a dual pack with both caramel and vanilla flavored icecream pops covered in a chocolatey coating. I would suggest you do the same. A much better option than the love of my life, Snowie! These shaved ice treats are the best, but they are also a calorie nightmare. I think they have to be reserved to treats on days that involve at least 8 mile runs.

While training for the Flying Pig I developed a relentless craving for, wait for it.... cole slaw. After every Saturday long run I had to have some cole slaw. Disgusting, I know, but so delicious. We will have to see if this craving continues, or if I move on to something else. Hopefully one day I will crave something healthy, like broccoli, but I have a feeling that level of nutritional and physical health is not in my future.

The run today was a training run for the Hyde Park Blast this Saturday. I will be doing the 4 mile run with Em, Casey, and Wes. I will also be helping out my friend, Liz with the Kids Race on Saturday afternoon. Liz is involved in CancerFree Kids, a charity that raises money for kids with cancer, and proceeds from the Blast will benefit CancerFree Kids. So, sign up for the race, come watch the afternoon events, or join the party on Hyde Park Square on Saturday night, and you will be benefiting a great cause. The toughest part of the course is Handysyde, a painful hill, and I made it up, up, and away today so I am very excited to see how Saturday goes.

3 comments:

Mary Ann* said...

Lynn, have an almost calorie free coleslaw recipe that actually is delish and lets you prepare one serving at a time (if you so desire). Donna shared it with me a few years back and it is a staple for summertime.

I made HG's dreamy chocolate PB fudge last night and it is pretty good. 65 calories per piece and you don't even taste the pumpkin! (yes, it's *that* weird).

It broke my heart when HG called out Snowies in her daily update (almost forwarded to you with my comments, but didn't want to ruin Snowies for you!), but glad you have discovered SkinnyCow. Definitely one of my staples.

Love you!!

Lindsey said...

MA* thanks for the cole slaw recipe!
Snowie has some sugar-free options that should be better for you, so I plan to check those out at some point. Only fear that the love of my life flavor, Wedding Cake, will not be available in this guilt-less version.

Emily Malone said...

You know I am always up for a healthy post-run treat and motivating talk as well! As much as I sometimes still crave my fatty cheese sauces and all the rest, I like fitting into my clothes more. I am happy to discuss cravings as we log miles:)