Monday, July 7, 2008

If It's Broke, You Better Fix It

This is a picture of a broken runner. This photo was taken of me (with Indy) just before the finish line at the Blast. Probably one of the WORST racing photos ever taken. Even the marathon pictures look better than this (mostly because Emily had an eagle-eye out for photographers and would remind me to SMILE for all the marathon picture spots). This picture marks the last time I have run. Meaning I have not laced up the ol' GOLD sauconys in 8 days. Unacceptable, but is has felt unavoidable.

Looking at this picture helps explain things a bit. Those 4 miles of the Blast were rough. I finished, I was happy with my time, but it was not easy. I guess my expressions says it all. Does this look like a girl who could keep going for 22.2 more miles? No sir. So, I took a week off. I had a pity party, each day I promised myself I would run, and each day I found excuses to justify not doing it: heat, rain, humidity, too early, too late, too tired; the list is never ending. But it has to end. Because the marathon is October 12 and there is no way I will not be there.

So, the running strike ends. I have a run planned with Em after work today. And a run planned for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The reward: Brad Paisley Concert on Friday night. And then another run on Saturday or Sunday. I think I might need to blog each day this week to keep myself accountable. But I think I will settle for getting my runs in and see how often I can blog (I don't want to completely overwhelm myself). Any encouragement is welcome! I mean we all fall off the wagon now and again, right?

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

please compare the race pic with the blast block party pic taken later that evening, proof that i do look normal (sometimes).

Emily Malone said...

way to be ritz. welcome back to running! i missed you:) we will kill all 11 miles after work today, and the pride from the run will get us through the next three.

Mary Ann* said...

Indy looks tuckered, too -- must have been a rough one.

I have been horrid about running, but I made a new playlist yesterday to motivate (jesse mc what?).

Love all the adorable Bondis!!!! Polka princess!

xoxo

Mary Ann* said...

p.s. maybe paisley will sing happy birthday? and you will leave me a live feed voicemail? :)