Saturday, June 21, 2008

Drink, Drank...


Week 2 of training is complete!
After taking off most of the month of May it has been difficult getting back into running. The spike in heat and humidity did not help much. I started the week out with a 3 mile run on Tuesday. The weather was cool, the wind was blowing and I managed to finish my route with minimal walking, zero heart attack scares, and a lot of pride that I am still able to run (as long as it isn't in 90 degree heat). Wednesday night was a 5 miler with Em. Rough in spots but we huffed our way through. Thursday was another 3 miles. A little on the slow side, but not bad. And then today...
9 miles.

We planned to run early to avoid the heat and sun. The plan didn't exactly work out. Emily and I ended up running at 11am. Just about the worst time of day to go out. Luckily there were lots of shady spots and lots of water fountains along our course.

A brief rundown of the water fountains around Hyde Park:
1. Madison and Observatory: really good stuff here, good water pressure, easy to hold the pedal down (even with an exhausted running leg) and a bonus is the dog spout which is at optimal height for dogs or humans (Emily) who want to dunk their heads under the water to cool down.

2. Madison and Grandin (O'Bryonville): this has 2 spouts which allows for simultaneous drinking, good if you are in a hurry, or cannot possibly watch your running partner quench their thirst while you wait your turn, the dog spout on this one is v. close to the ground and makes it difficult for head dunking (Em may have some cement scrapes on her forehead), the water temperature is a little on the warm side, added bonus is the bench nearby which looked VERY inviting if you absolutely need to collapse (I resisted the temptation).

3. Erie(Hyde Park Square): this is a "bubbler", basically the water bubbles straight up; going up your nose, all over your face and if you are lucky, a baby bit into your mouth,also the people sitting on the square seem to stare as you huff, puff and basically take a bath in this water fountain.

4. Erie and Marburg: this little gem is hidden back by the tennis courts. I trained for the Flying Pig not once knowing about this water stop. The coldest water in the city (that I have discovered so far), but only one spout so you have to wait your turn, high point here is getting to take a water break and catch your breath before running up the policeman hill to Erie and Delta.

Overall it was a good run. I finished 9 miles in decent time, found water fountains to keep me hydrated, and earned myself a rest day. Tonight is Liz's bachelorette party at my apartment, followed by some debauchery downtown. Hope my legs can hold up for an evening of high-heeled dancing after the 9 miler!

2 comments:

Emily Malone said...

LOVE this post almost as much as i love you. Cinweekly would have been proud to have the water fountain breakdown available to the public. Here's to hoping the weather stays cool. Freeze my bondi for me for Saturday morning? Bottom left drawer in my dresser.

Mary Ann* said...

I cannot wait to run the streets of Hyde Park and sample the delicious water varieties. The Bubbler sounds like a KILLER. Heat is rough; high reached 96 today. Can only run in middle of night, and even then die of dehydration. Gak!
Love you :)